Aims and Objects
The aims and objects for which the society is established are as under:
The “North-East Academy of Science and Technology (NEAST)”, come in to existence in the year 2017 with an aim to promote Science and Technology in North-East region of country. The“North-East Academy of Science and Technology (NEAST)”, comprises the distinguished Scientists, Engineers, Technologists including Medical fraternity that includes the entire spectrum of Science and Technological disciplines.
The aims and objectives of the Academy are greatly focused towards the advancement of Science and Technology in North-Eastern region of country by providing a common forum to discuss the scientific developments and Technological advancements, and disseminatingtheScientific knowledge among the people of North-East region and Publication of Popular Science Books and Journals in Science and Technology.
- The Advancement of Science and Technology in North-East states of country
- To provide a forum for presenting and discussing the scientific developments
- Propagation of Scientific knowledge among people by organizing lectures, seminars, Symposia, tours and excursions, popular exhibitions and distribution of popular science books
- Establishment of a Science Museum
- Establishment of a Library with a reading room to serve as a Central library for all scientific workers
- Publication of books and journals on Science & Technology
- To secure and manage funds and endowments for the promotion of Science
- To assist voluntary Science organizations
- To do and perform all other acts, matters and things that may assist in, conduce to, or be necessary for the fulfilment of the above mentioned aims and objectives of the Academy.
All the incomes, earnings, movable or immovable properties of the society shall be solely utilized and applied towards the promotion of its aims and objects as set forth in the Memorandum of Association and no portion thereof shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividends, bonus, profit or in any manner whatsoever, to the present or past members of the society or to any person claiming through any one or more of the present or the past members. No member of the society shall have any personal claim on any movable or immovable properties of the society or make any profit whatsoever, by virtue of this membership.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Name of the Society
Name of the Society shall be NORTH EAST ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (NEAST)
The membership of the Academy is open to any person who has attained the age of maturity and fulfils the terms and conditions of the Academy but subject to the approval of the Governing Body. If any Government servant is desirous of becoming a member of the Society, he/she will have to inform the appropriate authority in the Government prior to joining the Academy. If the membership is not approved by the Governing Body, the reason of refusal shall be communicated to the person/applicant concerned.
- Membership Fee & Subscription
Termination or Cessation of Membership
- Subscriptions of Full Member(Fellow)
The annual subscriptions of a full membership (Fellow) shall be Rs. 2,000/- per year in addition to the admission fee of Rs. 1,000/- (Rupees Three Thousand only) paid once at the time of admission. A onetime payment of Rs, 10,000/- (Rupees Ten Thousand only) by a full member (Fellow) shall make the Fellow eligible for Life Membership. No full Member (Fellow) whose subscriptions is in arrears for six months shall be permitted to enjoy the rights or exercise the privileges of a Full Member (Fellow) until he shall have paid up all the arrears due from him. Any Full Member (Fellow) of the Academy may, after he/she shall have paid his/her admission fee pays an amount of Rs. 10,000/-(Ten Thousands only) during one calendar year in a single sum or by instalments, with an admission fee of Rs. 1,000/-will qualify for life membership. The annual subscriptions of all members shall be payable on the first day of each calendar year.
- Subscription to Foreign Fellow
The admission fee for each member shall be US $50 and the annual membership shall be US $100. A onetime payment of US $500 in addition to the admission fee of US $50 is valid for life time.
- Honorary Fellowship
North East Academy of Science and Technology (NEAST) will confer for those who have made significant contribution in any branch of Science and Technology and /or retired from active service and/or who have crossed the age of Sixty Five (65) years, by waiving the Annual/Life Subscription Fees and they will have voting rights on par with Elected Fellows. They will be elected as per the usual procedure for election of Fellows. Not more than five to ten nominations in a year will be considered under his category, by duly following the existing procedure for election of Fellows of the NEAST.On election as Honorary Fellow, an admission fee of Rs. 1000/- (Rupees One Thousand only) is to be paid once at the time of admission only.
- Subscription for “Member”
An admission fee of Rs. 1000/- shall be due from Member, on admission /election. The annual subscriptions of Member shall be Rs. 1,000/- per year. The annual subscriptions shall be payable on the first day of each calendar year. No Member whose subscription is in arrears for six months shall be permitted to enjoy the privileges of such Membership until he/she shall have paid up all the arrears due from him. A onetime payment of Rs. 10000/- (Rupees Ten thousand only) by a Member make him eligible for Life Membership, in addition to the Admission fee of Rs.1000/-(Rupees One thousand only).
The Governing Body of the Academy shall have the powers to expel/terminate a member or/and members, from the membership of the Academy, on the following grounds:
- On death
- On written resignation
- If found to be involved in any anti-social activities
- If adjudged by any court of law to be a criminal offender
- If found guilty by means of anti-propaganda of the Aims and Objects of the Academy
- If fails to pay subscription or contribution for those months
- If has not attended three consecutive meetings
- If disregards Rules & Regulations or disobey the decisions of the Governing Body. The decision of the Governing Body, shall be communicated to the member concerned.
In case, any member of the Academy is expelled by the Governing Body on any ground of Section 4(b), (e), (f), (g) & (h) of Rules & Regulations, he/she can be readmitted, provided the Governing body permitted his/her re-admission.
Register of members and facilities
The Academy shall maintain a register of its members and shall enter therein the name, address, date of enrolment and date of termination of the members.
All the members of the society will constitute the General Bodyof the Society
All the members of the society will constitute the General Bodyof the Society
Rights & Privileges of Members
- Notice: Minimum 21 days’ notice shall be given to the members, before the date of General Body Meeting, enclosing agenda specifying date, time place and issue to be discussed.
- Meeting: General Body Meeting shall be held at least once in every year.
- Quorum: One fourth of the total number of full Members (Fellows) shall constitute a quorum for all General Body meetings and also Executive Council meetings.
All and every member of the Academy:
Duties of the Members
- Shall be entitled to participate in meetings, cultural/educational/other academic functions and other lawful gatherings, called/arranged by the Academy.
- Have right to collect the Identity Card after depositing the required/prescribed (fixed by the Governing Body of the Academy from time to time).
All and every members of the Academy shall:
- Elect the Governing Body of the Academy (President, Vice Presidents’, Gen. Secretary, Treasurer, Editor and Executive Members)
- Attend the General Body meetings regularly
- Give the necessary information to the Academy, pertaining to any matter which is necessary to be known by the Academy
- Not indulge in activities which are prejudicial to the Aims and Objects and/or the Rules & Regulations of the Academy.
Composition of the Governing Body
- Strength: The strength of Governing Body (including office bearers and executive members) shall not be less than 17 and not more than 23.
- Term: Term of every Governing Body shall be 3 years.
- Notice: Minimum 21days notice shall be required for every Governing Body Meeting of the Academy but urgent Governing Body Meeting can be called by 48 hrs Notice.
- Quorum: Quorum of every Governing Body Meeting shall be One fourth of the total number of full Members (Fellows).
- Meeting: Governing Body Meeting shall ordinarily be held once in six months regularly but shall be held at least once every year.
- Emergent Meeting: The emergent Governing Body Meeting may be called by the 48 hrs notice but quorum for the same emergent Governing Body Meeting shall be one fourth of the total strength of the Governing Body of the Society.
The composition of the Governing Body shall be as under:
Termination of member of Governing Body
- Founder Honorary President One (Ex-Officio, Vice Chancellor, MZU)
- President One
- Vice President Not more than Three (One always from Mizoram State)
- General Secretary One
- Treasurer One
- Editor of Publications One
- Executive Members From 11(Eleven) to 17 (Seventeen) (Four always from Mizoram State and One from Each other state of North East States)
Any member of the Governing Body can be terminated from the office on the same grounds of article 4.
Functions & Powers of Governing Body
- Governing Body shall be responsible for the management and administration of all affairs of the Academy, and is also authorized to appoint any office bearer/executive member to look after any particular activity.
- All the decisions shall be taken by the majority votes.
- The Governing Body shall have the powers as are the powers of the Academy, mentioned in the Memorandum of the Academy and in these Rules and Regulations
The Governing Body shall have also the following powers:
Restriction on holding office
- To prepare Plans, Projects and Programmes.
- To appoint Election Officer and his/her powers.
No person who is an undischarged insolvent or who has been convicted of any offence under the law shall be entitled to be a member of a Governing Body. Permission/sanction from the prescribed authority shall be obtained by the government servant holding an elective office in the Academy.
Powers and Duties of Office Bearers
Filling up of Casual Vacancies
- Founder Honorary President
- To support the Chair and the Board.
- To be a key Ambassador.
- In the absence of President, Founder Honorary President shall preside over all the meetings of the Academy.
- President shall preside over all the meetings of the Academy
- At the time of voting on any matter/subject (except Election), if the total votes of the groups of members happen to be equal in number.
The President has the power to cast an extra vote to decide the matter/subject.
- President shall have the power to allow inclusion of any subject/matter in agenda for the discussion in the course of Proceeding/Meeting.
- President will sign all the papers/letters, on behalf of the Academy, to conduct its correspondences.
- In case of doubt as to the interpretation of any of these Rules, the President’s interpretations shall be final.
- In the absence of President; one of the Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President. In the absence of both Vice-Presidents, the Secretary shall perform the duties of the President.
- Vice President
The Vice President of the Academy shall enjoy all the powers of the President in his/her absence.
- General Secretary
- He/she should prepare the annual report and submit the same to the General Body.
- To conduct the correspondence of the Academyand of the Council, and to sign all letters and papers emanating from the Academy.
- To attend the meetings of the Academy and of the Council. (d) To take minutes of the proceedings of such meetings during the progress, and at the commencement of every such meeting, to read the minutes of the previous meeting.
- At the General meetings, to announce the presents made to the Academy since their last meeting, to read the names of candidates for membership, the original papers communicated and the letters addressed to the Academy.
- To prepare for submission to the Annual General body meeting a list of members corrected to the close of the previous year.
- To enter or cause to be entered in the minute-books all the proceedings of the Academy and of the Council before the following meeting and to see that all letters and papers and documents of every kind connected with the business of the Academyare properly filled and preserved.
- To exercise general supervision over the ministerial staff and servants and affairs of the Academy and to assist in carrying out these rules and the Regulations and orders made by the Council including proper maintenance of accounts regularly.
- To be Ex-officio member convener of all committees appointed by the Council unless any other member is appointed as convener for such a committee.
- The treasurer shall receive and hold for the use of the Academy all moneys paid to the Academy.
- To disburse the sums due from the Academy and keep exact accounts for all such receipts and payments. Disbursements exceeding Rs. 50,000/- shall be made only by the order of the Council or the Finance Committee (FC). An imprest money to the tune of 10,000/- be released to the Assistant Secretary, NEAST for meeting day to day expenses which will be recouped against submission of bills.
- To prepare a list of names of those members who may be in arrears of their subscription for six months or more and to submit it for the order of council at the next council meeting.
- Editor of Publications
- Responsible for the overall quality of the Journal’s content and implements policy decisions approved by the Governing Body.
- To oversee procedures for manuscript submission, acceptance, release and publication, as well as the criteria for review and referee of papers.
Any casual vacancies amongst the Governing Body shall be filled by the resolution passed by the Governing Body. Such appointment(s) shall be confirmed by the General Body in its coming General Body Meeting.
All the appeals shall be preferred to the Governing Body of the Academy and the decision of the Governing Body shall be final.
General Body in its annual meeting will elect its President, Vice Presidents’, Gen. Secretary, Treasurer, Editor of Publications and also the Executive Members of the Governing Body, after every three years by secret ballot papers or by show of hands of the election officer may decide. Voting by proxy will not be allowed. Simple majority of the votes shall be declared as elected /accepted.
Source of Income
All the income of the Academy shall be utilized only for the promotion and upliftment of the Aims and Objects of the Academy. Sources of income of the Academy are as under:
Property of Academy
- Membership fee & Subscription from the members of the Academy
- Donations and Special Contributions from Individual or Government Organizations.
All property belonging to the Academy shall vest in the Governing Body of the Academy but shall be referred to as property of the Academy. The Academy shall maintain register for recording details of the properties
Any kind of gift received from any person for a specific purpose shall not be used for any other purpose without the consent of the donors or the Registrar (Firms & Societies).
Financial year of Academy shall start from 1st April to 31st March every year.
The accounts of the Academy shall be examined, audited and certified for every financial year by a qualified Chartered Accountant, appointed by the General Body.
Management of Funds and Accounts Operation
Bank Account shall be operated by joint signatures of the General Secretary and Treasurer. The Academy shall keep proper Books of Accounts in which all sums of money received, source thereof, expenditure and object or purpose, the assets and liabilities of the Academy shall be entered.
Inspection of accounts and of the Proceedings of meetings
All the members of the Academy shall have the right to inspect Books of Accounts and proceedings of the meetings of the Academy if and when required.
Submission of annual report/returns
Once in every year a list of the Governing Body of the current year, annual activities report certified by President and General Secretary and Auditors reports and balance sheet for the previous year duly audited and signed by qualified auditor shall be filled in the office of the Registrar, Firms & Societies, Mizoram Aizawl as it is required under Section 18 of the Mizoram Societies Registration Act 2005.
If the society needs to be dissolved, it shall be dissolved as per provisions laid down under the Section 25 & 28 of the Mizoram Societies Registration Act 2005.
Academy may sue and/or be sued in the name of the President, the General Secretary or any Office Bearer authorized by the Governing Body in this behalf.
Any amendment in Memorandum and Rules and Regulations will be carried out in accordance with Section 9 of the Mizoram Societies Registration Act 2005.
Application of the Act
All the provisions under the Sections of the Mizoram Societies Registration Act 2005 shall be applicable to this Society.